36 Monkeys is an organization for contemporary alternative art and culture carries out not-for-profit activity to the benefit of the general public The Association is based in Sofia, Bulgaria in 2007.
36 Monkeys is a non-governmental organization established to launch and implement innovative projects in the field of culture and art and focused exclusively on experimenting and promotion of alternative and unpopular art forms. Its long-term strategy is justified by the idea to extend and diversify the non-institutionalized and informal environment.
Basic program of ProText are onstage readings of new European drama in non-theatrical spaces. The idea behind these reading performances is to set up a homogeneous art milieu in which architectural space, texts, actor’s presence, live music act and multimedia are blended into a single body that binds its individual elements into a coherent union.
The most famous initiative of the 36 Monkeys is the long-term project ProText started at 2007. Basic programme of ProText are performance-readings of new drama in non-theatrical spaces. The idea behind these reading performances is to set up a homogeneous art milieu in which architectural space, texts, actor’s presence, live music act and multimedia are blended into a single body that binds its individual elements into a coherent union. There have been already a French, a Romanian, a Bulgarian and 2 German editions and various non-theatre spaces – such as a fitness studio, university department, basement, or a bar – were temporarily occupied.
Goals before the organization:
1. Supporting the creation of new works and experimental creative search;
2. Popularizing alternative approaches in the field of culture and art and cooperate in strengthening their position in the public sphere;
3.Working for the activation of the cultural dialogue at a local, national and international level;
4.Supporting young artists and new forms in art and culture;
5.Working for the development of civil awareness and civil society in the country;
6.Popularizing and supporting scientific and ecological research, discoveries and initiatives through the means of art;
7.Popularizing Bulgarian art and culture outside the country.
The experience of the organization includes:
- Creation of the long-standing platform for popularization and creation of new dramaturgy (ProText);
- Development of a specific form of presentation of new dramaturgy (ProText – performance-reading);
- Creation and distribution of theatre performances;
- Organization of teaching seminars, workshops, professionals and students courses;
- Consultations on projects and initiatives, connected to performance arts;
- Expert participation in national and international initiatives, connected to cultural policies;
Support our activities on
F I N V B G S F
BG 67 FINV 9150 1200 0805 92